Recent Posts

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Tzatziki Dip


















We are addicted to the Olympics right now. My favorite is the figure skating. I am amazed at the teenage phenom from Russia. Wow is that girl flexible. To be that young... who am I kidding... I couldn't do that even when I was her age...

I also loved watching the disbelief that Sage had as he won the first gold for the United States. I also just have to smile at all of his "whoas", "gnarly", and "your boy" comments. My heart also goes out to all the competitors that didn't do as well as they wanted to. They all put in so much effort and time.. its like I want them to all win Gold.
















So enough with the Olympics recap. I decided to do Tzatziki Dip because it is a greek dish, and as we all know the Olympics started in Greece. Whenever we go to a Greek restaurant the first thing Jim asks for is lots of Tzatziki. Its kind of expensive to get in the store so I was excited to see I could make it relatively inexpensively and in larger qtys at home.

This isn't the first time that Tzatziki has made an appearance on the blog. It is a main component in these Greek Coliseum Dogs. Oh... I can't wait for summer grillin' season to start again.


















When I was shopping for ingredients I needed to get some Dill. They had these herb plants on sale. It ended up being cheaper to get him than cut dill.  Love deals like that. So here is Mr. Dill. He is our first attempt at an herb garden. I know he doesn't look great.  He got a little shocked by the 8 degree weather and the over-friendly dog that decided to sniff him on the way home in the car.

















Ingredients

1 large cucumber
1 tsp kosher salt, divided
1 cup plain or vanilla greek yogurt (2 5.3 oz containers)
1 clove garlic, pressed
2 - 3 sprigs fresh dill (about 1 tsp)
1 Tbsp lemon juice
black pepper to taste (1/16 tsp)

Peel the cucumber. Then grate the cucumber into a medium sized bowl. Take the grated cucumber and put it into a strainer. Press the cucumber with a large spoon to get out the excess water. Press several times in different areas of the strainer.

Add 1/2 tsp of the kosher salt and sprinkle on the cucumber. Mix the salt into the cucumber. Then set the strainer with the cucumber in the sink to let it drain while you combine the rest of the ingredients.

In the original medium bowl combined the greek yogurt, remaining 1/2 tsp kosher salt, garlic, dill, and lemon juice.

Retrieve the cucumber from the sink. Press it one more time with the large spoon to get out any additional water out. Add the cucumber to the yogurt mixture and mix everything together. Add black pepper to taste, I used a little less than 1/16 of a tsp.

Put in the fridge for 1 hour.

Eat and Enjoy!

Recipe Source: Laura's Baking Talent

You may also enjoy

















Pimento Cheese Spread

















Greek Pasta Salad