Recent Posts

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Cheese Fondue
















Happy New Years Eve! I can't believe that 2013 is already coming to a close. It has been such a fun year for us, but I can not wait to see what 2014 will hold for us. I was brain storming up some new ideas to try for our New Years celebration, and I thought about cheese fondue. Fondue is something that we both love, but we don't live in an area with a restaurant that serves it.
















Its funny I got this fondue pot years ago. I think I got it in a Christmas raffle. We never used it, and I think I actually tried to sell it in our garage sale this summer. Luckily it didn't sell. I got it out and made this amazing cheese fondue. It was really quite easy to make, and now that I know how easy it is I will be using the pot a lot more.
















I made the fondue on the stove and then transferred it. It amazed me how warm the candle kept the cheese fondue. The cheesy goodness was bubbling like a volcano as I took these pictures. Later as we were eating and enjoying it I was thinking that I should have videoed it. Oh well... maybe next time.















Part of the fun of fondue is picking out what to dip. I bought the ingredients for the cheese fondue, but decided to use what I already had around the house for the dippers. This is what I put in each ramekin. The first ramekin has one piece of regular potato sandwich bread, you never would have guessed it from the pictures. Next I cut up one medium sized apple. Then I cut up an orange for the third one. We weren't sure how orange and cheese would taste, but don't worry its amazing. Lastly I cut up 2 sausage sticks for the last ramekin.
















We ate this and watched a movie. Perfect date night or perfect for your New Years celebration. Without any additional food this was perfect for the two of us. The qty would work for 4, if you had a couple of other appetizers.

Ingredients

8 oz of shredded cheese (ex 5 oz cheddar and 3 oz swiss)
2 Tbsp flour
1/2 cup of beer (white wine can be substituted)
2 garlic cloves, diced
1 1/2 tsp mustard
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce

Shred the cheese in medium sized bowl. Add the flour and toss the cheese with the flour.

Prepare a double boiler. If you don't own one you can place a heat safe bowl or another pan over another pan with boiling water. Heat the double boiler using medium high heat. Add the beer, cloves, mustard, and Worcestershire sauce to the double boiler.

Once the mixture gets warm add 1/3 of the prepared cheese. Stir and allow the cheese to melt most of the way. Then add half of the remaining cheese. Stir again and allow the cheese to start to melt. Add the remaining cheese. Stirring slowly as the cheese melts completely.

Place warm cheese in a fondue pot, and keep warm as it is served.

Enjoy with a variety of dippers.

Recipe Source: Laura's Baking Talent

You may also enjoy

















Cauliflower Soup
















Guac Waffles


1 comment: