Recent Posts

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Pioneer Woman Apple Pie


















Last night was very sad for me, it was the first work night with the time change. I got home at a pretty good time. I was chilling with Ginny waiting for Jim to come home. When suddenly it was 5:30 and almost dark out. Seriously? We had had to meet Jim in the driveway to go on a walk as soon as he stepped out of the car. We then just made it back before it got too dark. Its going to be a long fall and winter.  Honestly if I had my choice I would drive to work in the dark all year... I'm not fully awake anyway. On weekends it would give more of a reason to sleep in. Alas its not up to me and I will have to endure.

















So pie week started with this pie. I love to watch pioneer woman on the Food Network. It is totally a de-stress time for me. She just loves cooking, baking, and her family so much. I got her cookbook and this pie was in there and I was like I can do this. So I did and it was GREAT!














 


This pie lasted less than 24 hours in our house. It was gone in 4 large pieces. Good bye pie we loved you.. but you were too good. I am going to make this pie again really soon. In fact I kind of want to stop typing and go make this pie again right now.

So the pie crust recipe makes two crusts, you can either double the apples and make two pies. That is the way the original recipe works, or you can freeze the second crust and save it for later.

Ingredients

Pie Crust

3 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups shortening (the recipe called out vegetable, I used butter flavored shortening)
1 egg
5 Tbsp cold water
1 Tbsp vinegar
1 tsp salt

Filling

3 apples (granny smith or something similar that is crisp and juicy)
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1 Tbsp flour
1/8 tsp salt
1 1/2 Tbsp of lemon juice
3 Tbsp butter

Put the flour in a large bowl. Add the shortening and cut it in with a pastry cutter. Keep cutting up the shortening until it is fully integrated into the flour. Crack the egg in a separate small bowl and whisk it. Pour the egg over the flour mixture. Than pour the water over that. Next add the vinegar and lastly sprinkle on the salt. Then mix everything together with a wooden spoon. Everything should be mixed, but try to not over mix the dough.

At this time get out two big Ziploc bags and divide the dough in half, putting one of half of the dough in each bag. Roll out the dough till its mostly flat so that it freezes nicely for you. Put the dough in the freezer while you work on the apple mixture (20 minutes should be good).

In a large bowl mix together the apples, brown sugar, sugar, flour, salt and lemon juice. Make sure everything is combined well, and set aside.

If you can roll your dough out on the parchment paper or mat that you are going to bake the pie on. Not having to transfer it will just make life easier. Roll the dough out into large circle or maybe an odd rectangle. It doesn't have to be perfect or even, this is part of the reason I love this pie. Next put the apples in the middle of the dough and fold up the edges of the pie crust. Finally top the pie with the butter sliced into four pieces.

Bake at 375 for 30-40 minutes.

Let the pie cool slightly, then eat and enjoy!

This recipe was adapted from the Pioneer Woman

You may also enjoy!

















Carmel Apple Cupcakes

















Chocolate Chip Cake