Recent Posts

Sunday, November 17, 2013

Grandma's Candy Apples


















I love doing my food blog. I'm really thankful for everyone that comes each day to read it. I also just love picking out the theme each week,and making all the recipes to share with all of you. The other fun thing is that I like to post before a holiday happens so that everyone has the recipes early and can plan. So I have moved up thanksgiving, and this is Thanksgiving week. I'm going to share two of our family favorites for almost any holiday, and one new recipe that I think you will just love. 

I was lucky enough to grow up with my Grandma on my mom's side right down the road. I have great memories of her stopping by at least once a week to go out to eat or chat with my mom and she was always there for all of our holiday dinners. My Grandma is no longer with us, and she is missed greatly. Around the holidays I am always reminded of her even more. For holiday dinners she would bring Candy Apples. These apples are so good. You would plan your plate around the candy apples.
















My grandma and I are both Aries, with our birthdays only 2 days apart. We both loved red and were passionate and a little on the crazy side. So as I was making her recipe yesterday to share I got the feeling that she would approve :)

So please make this recipe and share it with your family. You need to make this at least ONE DAY BEFORE serving. That way it has time to age to in the fridge to get the optimal flavor. Your house will smell amazing when you make this recipe... it was like burning a candy apple candle through the whole lower level. I was slightly worried making the recipe for the first time, and Jim was like nothing that smells this good could come out bad. He was right. These really are the ultimate side dish!

Ingredients

2lbs of apples, peeled and chopped into sixths (I used Fuji apples, Grandma used Jonathon apples)
3.5 cups of water
1 box candy red hots (6 oz)
1 cup of sugar

Peel your apples and chop each one into sixths. Soak the apples in a bowl of cold water as you prepare everything to bake the apples.

Put the water, red hots, and sugar in a medium sized saucepan over low heat. Stir and let the sugar dissolve. Once the sugar has dissolved turn the heat up to medium and bring the mixture to a boil. Let it boil for 5 minutes. Stirring occasionally. The red hots should be completely dissolved at this point. 

Put in one layer of apples into the mixture. Let them bake for around 14 minutes. Stir them occasionally. The apples should be tender when you check them with a fork. Put the first layer in the bowl you plan to serve them in. Then repeat with the second layer.

After all the apples are in the serving dish pour the remaining sauce on top of them. Place them in the fridge. They should age for at least one day before serving.

Eat and Enjoy!

This recipe originally appeared on Laura's Baking Talent.

You may also enjoy
















Apple Chips

















Carmel Apple Cupcakes