Recent Posts

Thursday, October 17, 2013

Pumpkin Apple Muffins




















Ok a few days ago I was loving the October weather.. We were getting warmer days... and I was excited to enjoy long walks with Ginny dog. We would walk by the grape field and just inhale the scent of the ripening grapes. I would drive by the apple orchards and see everyone enjoying their apple picking experience in sweatshirts.
















However the last couple of days have been COLD and CLOUDY with a little bit of RAIN.. and I feel the need to layer and hibernate. Getting up in the mornings is especially difficult. This morning I was getting ready... and Ginny was asleep in the warm bed. I kept looking over at her feeling jealous and eying the comfy slippers I had just discarded for my work shoes.




















I think that once I get over the shock of the change of the weather I will be ok.What do you do to stay motivated during the cold months? 

One thing I know that does help with at least my morning motivation is having a great breakfast. That is why I am so excited about fall breakfast week. These pumpkin apple muffins are one of my all time favorite muffin recipes. I have made them for years.

















They have just the right combination of pumpkin apple flavor with an underlying layer of sweetness. They are also super moist. When my parents came to visit this was the first thing I thought of to have ready for their arrival in the morning. The perfect breakfast snack.. without going overboard.

Ingredients

Muffin Base
2 1/2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 Tbsp pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 cup canned pumpkin
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 cups peeled chopped apples (as finely chopped as you can get)

Streusel
1/4 cup sugar
2 Tbsp flour
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 Tbsp cold butter or margarine

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin pan with muffin cups.

In a medium sized mixing bowl combine the flour, sugar, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, and salt. In another large bowl combine the eggs, pumpkin, and vegetable oil. When it is mixed well start to add the dry ingredients from the other bowl.

Once the dry ingredients are fully combined into the moist ones, then fold in the apples. Fill the muffin cups about 2/3 of the way full.

In a small bowl combine the sugar, flour, and cinnamon. Cut in the cold butter into the mixture. You can use a fork or a pastry cutter. Sprinkle the streusel over the muffins.
















Bake for 35-40 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes before removing them from the pan.

This recipe was originally from allreceipes.

You may also enjoy


Lemon White Chocolate Muffins


















Raspberry Streusel Muffins

8 comments:

  1. I never would have thought to add pumpkin and apple together. I bet these muffins are great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are one of my fall favorites.. been making them for years :)

      Delete
  2. I know what you mean about cold mornings! But muffins like these definitely make those mornings easier :) Great combo - pumpkin and apples! Thanks for sharing this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anything with a streusel top gets a thumbs up from me. This looks like a wonderful fall recipe that everyone will enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect morning breakfast muffins, especially loving that pumpkin!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These muffins look great!! Pumpkin and apple are such a fantastic pair! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! You can't get more fall then pumpkin and apple paired together :)

      Delete