Recent Posts

Thursday, July 4, 2013

M&M cookies 4th of July Style
















Happy 4th of July everyone! I hope that you are all enjoying your day and take time to celebrate with some great food.

This recipe is one of my all time favorite cookie recipes. It is a super simple M&M cookie recipe that you can adapt for any occasion. I have made it so many times I could probably make it in my sleep. You can do easter m&ms, fall m&ms, christmas m&ms, or if you have a graduation party do the colors of the school. So many easy ways to adapt a simple recipe.

I couldn't find red, white and blue m&ms in their own seperate package. I did some research on the M&M site and it appears they had some at one time, but not anymore. So I had to sort for the red and blue m&ms. No big deal.. but it means you have to buy more. We love m&ms to snack on and add to our trail mix.. so no biggie for us. I know you can also buy in bulk at our local grocery store, but I went the other route since I was making a small batch.

Did you know that Frank C Mars came up with the idea of M&Ms from watching soldiers in the Spainish Civil War who were eating chocoloate pellets that had a hard shell of tempered chocolate surrounding the outside. Actual production began in 1941. Mars company partnered with Hershey, since Hershey had control of the rationed chocolate at the time. M&Ms were exclusively for the military during the war.

I didnt know the M&M start up story when I decided to do this recipe for the 4th of July, but I know think its pretty fitting to have them on Independence day! For more M&M history, changes of color and marketing campaigns check out the wikipedia article on them.

Indgreidents:
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 cup shortening
2 eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups m&ms

Mix together the sugars, shortening, eggs and vanilla until mixed throughly. Mix dry ingredients flour, baking soda, and salt in a seperate bowl. Once mixed add to the sugar mixture. Make sure all the ingredients are combined well. Add in the M&Ms.

Drop the cookies on the sheet in tablespoon balls.

Bake at 350 degs for 9 to 11 minutes.

Have a cookie and enjoy!




This recipe was originally on the allrecipes site.

Follow my blog with Bloglovin