Recent Posts

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Chocolate Zucchini Bread

















A couple of years ago I was watching my sisters animals while she went on vacation, and her garden was exploding with zucchini. I googled how to freeze zucchini so that you could have it all year long. I loved to make zucchini bread so I thought it would be great to have lots of free zucchini in the freezer. I spent a whole day shredding zucchini and freezing it in little bags.

I have to admit I only used one bag of the frozen zucchini, the rest is still in the freezer isn't that sad. It just proves that zucchini is for the summer and not the rest of the year :)
 
Back to the last recipe for zucchini week, you know that I love my chocolate. So I had to find a way to get some chocolate into zucchini week. I saw this recipe and had to give it a try. I am glad that I did because it was really good.

I made three mini loaves again, so that we could freeze some. It was so good that we almost ate one mini loaf in one sitting. So maybe I didn't have to worry about that.

Ingredients

2 large eggs
1/3 cup honey
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla 
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup cocoa
1 2/3 cups flour
2 cups shredded zucchini
1 cup chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350 deg. Grease the pan. You can use a full loaf pan or three mini pans, your choice. I had trouble getting the bottom of one of my loaves out of the pan because of the melted chocolate chips. If you have parchment paper, you may want to line the bottom of the pan with it. The sides should be fine as long as you grease the pan.

In a large bowl, mix together the eggs, honey, vegetable oil, sugar, and vanilla until it is smooth. Add the salt, baking soda, baking powder, cocoa, and flour. Mix until well combined.

Stir in the zucchini and the chocolate chips.  Pour into the prepared pan or pans.

If you do a full loaf bake for 65 - 75 minutes. If you do the mini loaves it will be about 45 minutes. Cook until a toothpick comes out clean.

Let the pans cool for 15 minutes and then remove.

















Cut a piece and enjoy. Have one when its still warm, its so worth it.
















This recipe was originally on the King Arthur Flour website

.