Recent Posts

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Strawberry Shortcake Cookies
















As I was searching the web for strawberry shortcake ideas the strawberry shortcake dolls kept popping up. I remember having one when I was little and her friends Blueberry Muffin and Lemon Meringue. They all lived in a big Strawberry with their clothes. The latch on the strawberry eventually broke and I remember having to carry it very carefully, and there was a trick to close it...

Do girls today still love strawberry shortcake? I hope so. I read the wikipedia article about strawberry shortcake, and I think that I missed out on a lot of the "friends". Butter Cookie, Lime Chiffon, Raspberry Tart... I could do a blog theme for each character. I'm really kidding. I just thought it was funny that the doll came up when I was searching for recipes.

So back to Strawberry Shortcake the food :) I have to admit that of all the things I bake I really do love cookies the most. So when I found this strawberry shortcake cookie recipe I was ecstatic.

I made these late at night after work and they turned out amazing. I have to admit that we ate more than we should have after they were frosted. They also stored well in the fridge for the next couple of days.

The cookies have an interesting texture they are really like a shortbread cookie, thick sweet and addicting.

Cookies:

Ingredients

2/3 cup vegetable shortening
2/3 cup butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
3 1/3 cup flour

Preheat oven to 350 deg and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. 

Mix together the butter, shortening, and sugar until creamed together. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix until well combined.  In a separate bowl mix together the dry ingredients: baking powder, salt and flour. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in the bowl.

Roll the dough into large walnut size balls and place on the parchment covered cookie sheet. Bake them for 8-9 minutes.

Cool the cookies on a wire rack. While the cookies cool make the strawberry frosting.

Frosting:

Ingredients

1 cup butter
1/2 cup strawberries
4-5 cups powdered sugar

Puree the strawberries in a food processor. They will form about a 1/4 cup of pureed strawberries. 

Beat butter in mixer with paddle attachment until it is fluffy. Add 4 cups of the powered sugar and beat until well mixed.  Add the strawberry purree to the frosting. Make sure it is well combined. Beat in more powdered sugar if needed to get the texture that you need.

Frost the cookies and enjoy!

This recipe originally appeared on glorious treats.