Recent Posts

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Mini Loaf Banana Bread




We were getting ready to leave for vacation and the last week at work was pretty crazy for both Jim and I. Lots of meetings and catching up on the things that we were going to miss the following week. I had bought this batch of bananas and we had never gotten around to eating them. I hate to see food go to waste so I was like what I am going to do with these tired bananas.

Did you know that ripe bananas are also called tired bananas? I saw that in a recipe once and thought it was so cute. So now I always like to throw in the term tired instead of ripe.

Anyway its the night before we are going to leave. Jim is exhausted and needing to mow the lawn and I am trying to pack and get everything ready and I decide I need to make banana bread with these bananas. I have to admit that I didn't have a go to banana bread recipe. So I searched the web and I found this recipe for mini loaves of banana bread.

I was like perfect... we can test one tonight, give one to the friend who is watching Ginny dog, and freeze one. Perfect!

The recipe turned out perfect and was super yummy! BTW did you know that banana bread always tastes better the next day. It allows time for the taste of the bananas to seep in.

This recipe is for three loaves.. Change the qty of each ingredient to match the number of loaves you would like.

Ingredients:

 9 Tbsp shortening
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
3/4 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
3/8 tsp salt
1.5 cups mashed bananas (I used 4 average sized bananas)
 9 Tbsp chopped walnut


Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. I feel for breads especially its important to preheat the oven early to make sure its up to the temperature that you expect.

In a bowl cream together the shortening and sugar, I did this in my stand mixer. Beat in eggs and vanilla. In a seperate bowl compine the flour, baking soda, and salt. Add part of this to the creamed mixture and then add a portion of the mashed bananas. Do this again until the dry mixture and mashed bananas are completely integrated into the batter. 

Fold in the walnuts.




  











Bake for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. 
















This is important, cool for 10 minutes and then remove from the pan. The time to remove the bread is critical for it coming nicely out of the pan. Once I learned this I always set a timer for the time of removal, so that I dont forget. If you do that it should come out nice, and make you smile.



Eat and Enjoy, Give to a Friend for them to Enjoy, or Freeze and Enjoy later!

This recipe was originally from the taste of home website.